Sunday, February 5, 2012

Plateau?

So I weighed in on Friday morning, but since then, I have gained 0.2lbs. So what the heck is going on? Is it because I haven't been eating the full 1200 calories? Could I be plateauing already?

For the record, Rachel and I did NOT win for the week, despite losing a combined 11lbs. Everyone else brought their A-game I guess. We ended up being 3rd out of 7. I am scared because I'm totally NOT losing right this second. I know I said I would be happy with a 2lb weight loss, but I would rather have it be 3 or 4.

I met my calorie goal today (Actually exceeded it by a tiny bit). I am going to try my best to hit right at my calorie goal. If I go over, I'll exercise those calories off in the evening. I am also going to increase my water a tiny bit and do my best to get more sleep.

Sincerely yours and shaking in my shorts,
Carla

2 comments:

  1. Plateauing can be so random and it totally stinks. It's your metabolism being a jerk- here's a neat article - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

    I also read in a fitness magazine that cycling your calories can help you get past a plateau- it's usually what I do. Obviously, don't go under 1200- but one day, do 1200 or a little higher, the next around 1500, then back down, etc. It keeps your metabolism guessing- especially if you exercise on the high calorie days.

    Also, when I take a break from cardio for a few days like biking or running and focus on strength training intervals instead, I see a difference (something about shocking your body into losing more calories).

    Anywho, 3rd out of 7 isn't bad! Could be worse. Hopefully you can get your body out of plateau mode and trick your metabolism. Besides, don't worry too much about the numbers after the dots. I lost .4 pounds in 20 seconds because I pulled off my pajama shirt just to see if there'd be a difference (TMI, but I wasn't wearing anything under since I was about to shower). You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good article. Since I can't decrease my calories any more, I will just have to up my exercise. I totally think you're right about the calorie cycling. I went a tiny bit over yesterday and when I woke up today I was almost a pound lower. :)

    I don't know if the starvation mode idea is just a myth or what, but this has happened in previous diets where I plateau after a week or two and it's always because I ate too few calories. Once I up my calories for a day or two, I start losing again.

    I still want to lose a ton during this contest so I'm still a little concerned, but whatever happens, happens I guess.

    ReplyDelete